Monday, July 27, 2009

The need for speed, part 1: Adrenaline Junkie

The need for speed, part one: Adrenaline Junkie

“Look mom, I can fly y y y y”, I heard Doug proclaim from somewhere outside. The thump that followed triggered my mom alarm. His notorious vocal sounds, known now as tics, heard in his jet stream, circled around the house. His ‘no fear’ feeding my fear sent me running, but not fast enough. Arriving just in time I witnessed my six year old shimmying up the perfect climbing tree in our back yard, down its longest limb, and jumping onto the roof. As he scampered over to the front of the house, I ran to stop him. Too late, over the edge again with arms spread wide. I swear, given his bird poised body and no fear radiating, it looked for a moment, as though he would fly.

This kid was always on the go, stretching his human limits. One afternoon I caught him literally running up our living room wall. Over and over he ran up, pushed off, and landed flat footed on the floor. I looked on in amazement. Each time he ran a little further up the wall and pushed a little further from the last step. He was fast. After suspecting the next run, he would do a backward flip, I stopped him. I just wasn’t ready for a broken neck.

At age 7 he was diagnosed with Tourette’s syndrome and OCD by a pediatric neurologist at the University of Texas, Galveston. I was handed a prescription for Orap and told to fill it if he had trouble with anger or violent behavior. After talking with my family doctor, I decided not to. He told me this was a harsh anti-psychotic medication and if I could tolerate it not to use it. He suggested staying away from processed meats, preservatives, and food colorings, especially red. Doug still needed a safe way to release his energy. So, we played sports! Anything I could get him in, considering my schedule.

Years later, while seeking medical help for another child, I learned these as if driven by a motor, no fear, and impulsive behaviors are symptoms of hyper-activity associated with Tourette’s and ADHD. He had and continues to have the need for speed. Now 27, he still seeks out thrilling and exhilarating experiences. Mostly, he works out at a gym and plays basketball and volleyball. For some strange reason, these natural adrenaline injections have a calming effect.

Doug continues to be an inspiration for hope. Hope for the rest of my children and for others. He struggled for years with an 'as seen on Oprah' case of Tourette's syndrome, thankfully, lessening in severity by age 15. He has climbed mountains toward his success. After eight years as a Navy Corpsman, he now works as a pediatric cardio-vascular technologist at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. "Go Doug"

No comments: